Kindness

Kindness is essential in our daily lives.
I will share weekly a new post with a message of how powerful kindness really can be.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Super Summer SALSA Recipe Rated A+

Many, many times I have surfed the net looking to find 'that perfect' recipe. Many, many times after following 'that perfect' recipe it turns out to be not-so-perfect. I would even go so far as describing it as a disappointing flop.  Regardless, I never give up on my search efforts. And, yes, on several occasions I have managed to find that recipe which provides me with A+ results. Bottom line - any recipe I share has been tried and true; I want to spare those who love to cook as much as I do the heartache of a 'flop.'

Described by myself as A+, the original salsa recipe I found on-line had to be tweaked a tiny bit to my liking to achieve this rating. For those with any cooking ability tweaking a recipe is no big deal; per your liking simply switch up the spices or add more of the ingredients you favor such as onions, garlic, etc. or lessen the ingredients you dislike. No, it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to make it happen; just a few fearless taste buds.

First, I'd like to preface by saying that the process of making salsa is not for the faint of heart. The prep for this wonderful food product requires a lot of effort as described through the steps in the recipe I am providing. Rewards of the efforts are plenty: healthier (no preservatives); amazing cost savings if ingredients are home grown; personal satisfaction; pantry enhancement; self-sufficiency; convenience; etc.

If the garden produces another great yield of tomatoes, peppers and onions, I will definitely double (or triple) this recipe. If necessary, I can also visit the local farmer's market for fresh ingredients.


So here goes,

SUPER SUMMER SALSA RECIPE


Ingredients:

8 cups tomatoes - peeled, seeds removed, chopped and drained
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped green peppers
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce

Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients together in a large sauce pan.
  • Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Pour into prepared jars.
  • Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
This recipe provided me with 8 pint jars of salsa. You can get more or less by increasing or decreasing the ingredients listed.



Information on preparing jars and other canning questions can be found at Ball Fresh Preserving and Canning Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment