Never buy store-bought pizza sauce ever again! With this simple and inexpensive recipe that reproduces the flavor of the sauce served at Pizza Hut you'll wonder why you didn't make it sooner.
I like to use my bread machine to make my homemade pizza dough but it's not a bad thing if you're not into making it yourself; you can buy fresh pizza dough already made as well as pizza shells in most supermarkets. (Please check out my homemade pizza dough post which shows just how easy it really is to make homemade pizza dough using a bread machine.)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole bay leave
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until sauce starts to boil.
- Lower the heat and slowly simmer, covered, for 30 or so minutes or until it is as thick as you like it.
- Makes enough for 2 medium pizzas or 1 extra large pizza.