Kindness

Kindness is essential in our daily lives.
I will share weekly a new post with a message of how powerful kindness really can be.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Making Pasta Sauce From Preserved Tomatoes

Many recipes can benefit from the enhanced tomato flavor of home preserved tomatoes. One of the easiest by far is pasta sauce. Plain. With vegetables. With added meat. Use your imagination. I'm going to share my quick and easy method of preparing a pasta dish using one quart of tomatoes that I canned from home grown tomatoes, garden grown onions and bell peppers that I pulled from the freezer.

There is no recipe. It is based totally on your likes and dislikes. You like onions? Go ahead and add onions. You like garlic? Go ahead and add garlic. Sausage instead of ground beef? Go for it. The same goes for the spices. Add whichever flavors satisfy your taste buds.

Begin the process by heating up a healthy amount of olive oil in a cook pan on medium heat. I like the flavor of meat so I start by putting a small amount of 90% ground beef in the center of my cook pan. I like the taste of onions so I chop them big (because that's the way I like onions) and throw them into the pan. I like peppers so I add a good helping of chopped bell peppers into the pan also.


As the meat begins to cook stir all the ingredients together.

When the meat appears to be fully cooked I add a healthy amount of chunky chopped garlic because I love to bite on pieces of garlic. I like the flavor of oregano so I shake a small amount of that into the cook pan also. Smells real good! Are you getting the picture? 


When everything in the cook pan appears to be cooked pour in one quart of canned tomatoes and stir it all together. Stir in one small can of tomato paste to the pan at this time also.


Turn the stove top burner for the pasta sauce down to low/simmer and start boiling the water in your pasta pot. Continue to stir the pasta sauce every so often while the water boils to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. 

After the pasta is cooked to your liking, drain off the water and pour into a serving bowl. 

 One quart of canned tomatoes with one can of tomato puree makes enough sauce for 1 lb of pasta.


If you plant a vegetable garden that grows tomatoes, bell peppers and onions you'll have half of the ingredients on hand and save a lot of money. Freezing bell peppers in pint or quart freezing bags are great to pull out and use in your pasta sauce, Spanish rice, omelets, sloppy joe's, etc. Onions can be stored in a cold storage area throughout the winter.

BEST SERVED WITH HOMEMADE ARTISAN BREAD







No comments:

Post a Comment