Kindness

Kindness is essential in our daily lives.
I will share weekly a new post with a message of how powerful kindness really can be.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Black Raspberry Jam...to die for!

During the summer 2010 I began feeling down about not having crops to harvest from the lack of any at-home vegetable garden. With nothing to harvest for the first time in 20 years I directed my concentration on filling the shelves in the cold storage room with jellies and jams. The first 2010 batch of jam produced in my sweet little kitchen (and my favorite flavor to eat by far) was the black raspberry jam. The picking, being the first ever for berries other than here at home, was done in the sweltering heat of summer in Baldwinsville. Other than not remembering to bring some much needed cold water to quench our thirst, I developed an intestinal problem (yes, there were portable buildings for this  - yuk) and my picking partner husband tripped and spilled the majority of the berries he had already picked onto the ground lost forever. Losing the berries from that fall proved to be a blessing because we hadn't realized we over picked until we went to pay for our purchase and was given the bill. Whew, I had no clue how much this was going to cost, so I was in sticker shock; duh, it would have been wise to ask what the price per pound was before starting to pick. In the end we had way more than enough berries for making an ample supply of black raspberry jam to die for. I'd like to report that I have already ordered some black raspberry bushes from my favorite supplier and I can't wait for them to arrive in the spring for planting. Possibly in the next year or two I'll be able to harvest them here in my very own backyard where I'll be closer to public utilities. : )

 


No comments:

Post a Comment